For most websites, it is generally found that over half of their traffic consists of clicks received through search engine results. Additionally, studies show that most people only click on one of the first five search engine results from within the first page of results. It is well known that having an online presence with an effective website impacts the success of your business operation. But in order to profit from your professional internet presence, you need to ensure that potential customers can find it.
Making yourself findable
All websites compete for placement in search engine rankings and the attention of internet users. Therefore, ensuring your website is at the top of the search results is critical for your competitiveness on the web and those who have the knowledge to improve their website’s ranking will reap the benefits of increased traffic. This makes SEO (search engine optimization) such a valuable marketing strategy for your website and your business in order to reach its full potential.
SEO enables search engines to understand what your website content is about and how it is relevant to users. SEO includes all practices of tailoring your website so that it can be found easier by search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo. The simpler the search term and the more relevant your website’s content, the higher it will be rank in the search results and the more likely it is to draw attention. Measures such as using keywords and precise text on your website can increase the ranking within the ‘organic’ search results. Those exclude paid-for (PPC or Pay-Per-Click) and sponsored adverts.
Ramping up the traffic
The aim is to improve the overall volume and traffic that your website receives and to increase your internet presence by catching the attention of internet users. By not undertaking SEO you might even cause harm to your own business when search engines cannot find your website and list your competitor’s higher. The chances are relatively high that your competitors are actively engaging in SEO practices in order to gain a competitive advantage over your internet presence in the same sector, for the same keywords. If they are successfully applying SEO efforts, internet users will more likely find their online presence rather than yours. In the case of businesses which operate solely online, this can mean a direct loss of business opportunities and profit.
As part of a marketing strategy and promoting yourself to your customers, simply fine-tuning your website so that it can be found easily by a search engine is one of the most cost-effective ways. The costs in connection with SEO are much less than other forms of advertising or marketing mediums. Additionally, by comparison, the ROI (Return on Investment) is far greater with SEO over other advertising methods as well as being more affordable for most companies.
Optimizing your website properly
But how do you optimise your website for search engines? Effective techniques that you might want to apply include:
- Designing, writing and coding your website efficiently and specifically by carefully phrasing page titles, text or even photo descriptions
- Accurately describing the page’s content by changing some of the text words in the descriptions to be concise and specific to help highlight words that are likely to be searched for
- Using meaningful meta tags/labels as these are separate to the main text of the website but should be used to direct people towards your website. For example, topics or areas of discussion where the words are not directly used in the body text of the website,
- Overall being brief but descriptive when it comes to content creation as this gives an overview in a clear manner. This, in turn, makes it easy to read and the search engine can see if the content is exactly matching what the user is looking for in a particular search
- Using a simple-to-understand structure in your URLs to allow the search engine to interpret the URL as part of the search it is undertaking
- Easy site navigation for layout and ease of reading so customers can find what they are looking for quickly and concisely
- Optimise the usage of images and also the descriptions as all of the content can be optimised to give a greater chance of the website being searched for and seen as relevant by the search engine during a search
These techniques are used most efficiently and should be kept in mind whenever you are adding content to your website. This ensures that your site stays optimized for search engines at all times. As search engines change their routines (or algorithms) periodically, SEO measures should accordingly be reviewed and adjusted regularly to ensure their continued effectiveness in keeping your website high in the search engine rankings.
Giving a better experience
In addition to improving your ranking in search results, SEO efforts increase the general usability of your website and enhance the experience of website visitors. Successfully delivering information in a clear and concise fashion is paramount as time is critical and the interest of visitors is lost quickly. Capturing the attention of potential clients and engaging them in the content of your website could be the first step to winning their business. People who don’t hang around long on your site aren’t as likely to be converted from mere traffic into buying customers.
Keep in mind that your website is your core internet presence where other marketing strategies like social media link back to. Your business, therefore, benefits exponentially from establishing a successful website. But that is not enough when nobody can find it in the first place. SEO is, therefore, the necessary bridge that connects your website to potential customers in the outside world.
SEO is an on-going tool to utilize and maximize your business and website potential. Using it effectively as your number one marketing strategy will lead you and your business to increased returns, an enhanced customer’s experience and most importantly an increase in your profits.